Friday, January 28, 2011

Messes

I am not an OCD person.  I don't mind a mess or two.  It works well, since B man is insisting upon using his own spoon, and coloring his own paper.  He has even tried finger painting.  Activities like these, even though messy, make these cold, snowy winter days go by a little easier.


Unlike physical messes, the emotional messes or breakdowns that arise are sometimes temper-inducing and gasket blowing, on my part. Good thing my church is offering a compassion class for the next 15 weeks. Two of my friends and I signed up. I secretly think they do this class for stay at home moms! It should be helpful for times when my 3.5 year old and 15 month old run circles around me. Like in the Dr's office this morning, when the boys were playing in the trash, hitting each other, climbing (literally) on the furniture and walls, playing with "please do not touch this" items, and screaming so loud the entire office could hear. Hence the reason that I brought fruit snacks and fifteen other type of snacks, to curb the board-um we felt for being in a small room for an Hour and fifteen minutes. The fruit snacks are their favorites, especially the youngest. They would have been a good thing, until the Dr. said, "and, foods like that will cause your 15 month old to choke". I really wanted to look at him and say,"really, really? No, no,he won't choke, he also eats uncut hotdogs, raisins, and yes, popcorn. So take that! Go ahead judge all you want." But, I didn't, I put them away, which started a major melt-down/temper tantrum by the baby. I stayed strong, until they both started digging in the trash, then I about cried. Good thing the shot lady came in, administering shots, and handing out stickers. It curbed my tears a little, until they both started madly running around while checking out, and making future appointments. I about lost it. Thankfully, our meltdowns ended when we made our way through the drive through. Nothing like a good set of nuggets to change your perspective!

And, since I am at it, B weighed in at 21.14 and 31 inches tall. He is in the 25% for height and 10th for weight. Although he is only saying max 4 words (mostly "mama", "dada", "uh-oh", and "hi"), he sure knows how to use his voice for squaking like a seagull to get things he wants. He climbs up and down the stairs. Kicks and throws balls. Loves to read books. Loves to play with anything his brother is playing with. Isn't really "in" to anything in particular. Can do an elmo puzzle by himself. Loves his blankie. Sleeps with a pacifier. Is down to one nap. Goes to bed at 6 and wakes up at 7. Is partial to his dad and papa. Loves to make messes in my cabinets and all over the house for that matter! Loves to color and paint. Loves to play with cars and trucks on his railroad tracks.

9 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that reminds me so much of my monthly/weekly visits to do OB when I was preg with sage! I feel like I'd get an eye roll everytime we came barging in!! I cant BELIEVE how old beckett is getting! I love how they are becoming more evenly matched as brothers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sounds like another lovely trip to our SLOW peds office. :( so sorry - I was in there last week and I get to go back in March AND April. yipppee!

    adorable pictures of B! can you please have him come over and teach Noah how to sleep 13 hours?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my first experience with two at the doctors. Charlie insisted on dropping to the gross floor just so I could ask him if he was ok. It's his little attention seeking game. All I could think of was what gross germs he was getting all over him and I'm not even a germ-a-phob.
    Beckett is too cute. I love that you let him color with markers. I'm scared of what Charlie will do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! The only reason they got rowdy was that long wait. They are usually such well-behaved boys :) Beckett is growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am dreading the day maddox doesn't want me to feed him anymore.
    ok, i am glad it isn't just me that has kids going all over the place at the doc's office...then why are all the other kids so calm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky enough to have my mother in law with me for our latest check up. You are brave, and you survived!
    Also, I had no idea about fruit snacks. Hannah has been eating them for about a year now. Oops.
    Thanks for the update, I always enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you about the dr. office. We were waiting an hour this week. I wouldn't let Andrew get out of the stroller because the office was full of sick kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well i am glad i am not the only one and that my kids are not the only kids who "behave" so well at times :) i always give the mom who is going through the same thing, the "i can sympathize" smile...my first experience with Corbin on plane about caused me to fight a flight attendant and Kurt to need therapy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was cracking up during this post. I can barely control one at the doctor's office. Don't you think they should have some sort of express guarantee for your waiting time when you have little ones? Like when you are ordering take out and they guarantee you your meal will be ready or its free. Maybe they could give babysitting and spa gift certificates to moms who have to wait more than 15 minutes to see the doctor. Hope you went to bed early that night :)

    ReplyDelete