Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Last Minute Getaway

Sometimes in life, it pays to be flexible! So, when my friend asked me on a Wednesday if we would like to take off late Friday and go skiing, we couldn't resist. Okay, so the flexibility part was coupled with the fact that I wanted a home cooked meal from KH , and that my husband would turn 33 doing something he loved doing, skiing. So, we loaded the boys up, and they loaded their three kids up and headed for a short, but memorable weekend.
We arrived late on Friday, and the four adults indulged in food, wine, and talking. Time got away from us, and at 1:30am we retreated to bed. Since the four of us hadn't done that in a while, the mere five hours of sleep, left us tired, yet excited for the day ahead. The guys bundled all three older boys up for skiing, while KH and I stayed back with the babies. A little before noon, we headed to watch the little boys in their ski school and then sign them out. My little C man LOVED, with all capital letters, his first adventure in ski school. His paternal grandmother would be proud, considering she is quite possibly close to professional when it comes to this sport. I was also proud because I am always scared when it comes to things on my feet, going down a large hill, without control. So, it delighted me that he did not inherit my scared-y-cat gene. It also helped that he had two of his best buds going down the slopes with him. And, when I say slopes, I mean, a gradual incline that almost looks flat. But, to a 3.5 year old, it would quite possibly look monsterous!

The afternoon was spent watching movies for the kids, while the moms slept in the background. Once the dads came home from their day of skiing, we were able to relax for a couple more hours. Then we watched Chad blow out his birthday candles, and dug into some store bought (but super delicious!) cupcakes in celebration of the 33rd year of his life (Of which, I am so very thankful and blessed for!). Mad dash to get the kids fed, bathed, and in bed so that the adults could eat a kid-free, delicious, Italian-style dinner made by a professional cook. Since the night before was spent into the wee hours of the day, we headed to bed at 8:30. And, the almost twelve hours of sleep was delightful!

We headed home, greatful for wonderful friends, good conversations, kids that love each other, and a fabulous getaway! Home in time to watch the super bowl!
Prior to skiing
View from the cabin
TBG
My store bought cupcakes..delicious!
My handsome birthday boy
KH's Batman

My spiderman and superman reading about great adventures.  They really wanted to sleep in the same bed, but too much talking landed each in separate beds.  Although, three under 5 in the same room was quite an accomplishment--if I do say so myself!
Last but NOT least..a picture of my skiing boy. Silly mom forgot the camera when headed to the slopes!









6 comments:

  1. Megan, I would never have known that you were afraid of heights! remember the first time i went skiing? It was with you and meredith in the 9th grade and I dropped my poles on the ski lift and you let me have yours. you went down with nothing! such a good friend! :) fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!! so glad we went!! so glad we brought along that professional chef too! My friend, Mr. Crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for cade, I thought he would like it! so fun. I love that you are spontaneous like that. all I would have to hear is karen and cooking and I would be all in too

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so glad cade enjoyed it! it sounds like you guys had a nice time! happy birthday to chad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun weekend! Seems like we're always celebrating my birthday while skiing too :) I'm sure Cade had a blast skiing. Will you have Beckett try next year? I think Maguire had turned 2 a few weeks before we took the kids the first time. It was so cute/funny to see such a tiny little guy skiing with a binky :) And I'm impressed that you attempted 3 boys in the same room! Nice!

    ReplyDelete